Family. What's love got to do with it?
Very little. I must be a slow learner and I am learning it the hard way. Family. I somehow thought if I loved them, helped them, was honest and did the right thing, we would be a family.
I have learned that family is more of a scientific term that means we share some of the same DNA. Not love.
My mother loved all of us. But my Mom and I "got" each other. It didn't happen overnight. There was a lot of blood, sweat and tears. But over time, she became my best friend. I think I may be the luckiest person alive. Why did it happened with us, but not my siblings? Or maybe it did, but in a totally different way. Maybe they loved her but didn't like her.
Wouldn't it be nice to know how other people felt before we love them? I guess that's not the way love works. After all, love is always a one way trip. If we truly love someone, it's not conditional that they love use back. Love isn't like a little kid who only wants to give something if he knows he's going to get something back.
But does loving someone now mean that I will love them the rest of my life? Are there times when love is not enough? Why would I want to keep loving someone who hurts me over and over? I have to remember that I must love myself first before I can truly love someone else. And if I love myself, then I wouldn't be in a relationship with someone who hurts me.
What's love got to do with it? It's nothing. And everything.
No comments:
Post a Comment